Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Diary Entry 7 -- May 22, 1778

I had nearly forgotten how magnificent it was, the sight of the setting Sun on the boundless sea. I could watch endlessly as the Sun falls from the sky over the horizon and takes with it all the light that illuminates my way through this voyage. Now, I am guided only by the peaceful moonlight, reflecting and twinkling in the calm waters so subtly and elegantly. I could write on and on about Poseidon's great kingdom and all its majesty.

It is the first night aboard the Encounter. The captain's quarters are quite spacious, and have an almost royal design. Strong red banners line the sides of the room, while a deep, contrasting black covers the floor. The bed, centered delicately in the center of the room, seems large enough to fit all the women I've ever loved, and maybe even some that I haven't. A French armoire opened up to display several fine sets of clothing that only a nobleman would wear. While they are not quite to my taste, I won't be making any fuss about it.

I have made introductions with my crew of roughly sixty men. Prior to boarding, I spoke with Mr. Smee about our departure and where we are going, and he persisted to be just as vague as ever. He said slyly, yet deliberately, "Choose whichever direction fancies you, but never stray from course." He assured me that he would accompany me on this journey so that I do not wind up lost. Surely he knows that I, a man born and raised by the sea, could never get lost on her waters.

The dockers carried aboard several tons of cargo that I am meant to deliver to...wherever it is I am going. I assumed these crates were filled with food and other such goods, but when I questioned Mr. Smee about the contents, he sternly told me that I was getting paid to transport these crates, not to know what was inside them.

There has been almost complete silence on deck since nightfall, and I am compelled to write more on this exciting day, but I believe I will turn in early so I may catch the first light of morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment