Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Diary Entry 11 -- June 7, 1778

I wish I had never embarked on this journey, especially now, knowing what I know.

In the few days since my last entry, four men under my command have died from undernourishment. Despite Mr. Smee's strict orders, I visited the cargo and peaked inside a few crates. As a man familiar with the transportation of cargo across seas, I immediately noticed there had been no wear on the crates from the insertion of goods, as there commonly is when moving goods of this quantity. There was also no powder residue along the brim of the containers. I took the liberty upon myself to pry the first crate open. What did I find?

Nothing. No food. No guns. No jewels or gold. No money. Just empty, dry air.

Surely there has been some mistake, correct? This voyage cannot be for bloody nothing, can it? What would be the point?

I just approached Mr. Smee with my discovery. I admit, I approached him a bit violently, but having been sailing for weeks and honestly having no clue where we are anymore, I believe this reaction is justifiable. However, when I informed him that I would no longer put up with his insolence and that I planned to sail back to London, he would not allow it. He told me to have faith in Mr. Darling's commands. "Things are not always as they seem," he said. What does that mean? What does any of it mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment